Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Picked Up on a Whim



I am typically very meticulous about the books I buy. No book makes it onto my wishlist without being thoroughly researched on Goodreads. However, I've been known to make exceptions. Below are ten books that I picked up on a whim.

1) Queen of Dragons (Drakon #3) by Shana Abe
Queen of Dragons (Drakon, #3)

I saw Queen of Dragons in a used bookstore and with a title like that, I just had to buy it. It wasn't until later I found out that it was part of a series so I hunted down those books as well. I am so fortunate to have stumbled across this book because Shana Abe is now one of my all-time favorite authors!

2) Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)

I had kind of heard of Shadow and Bone before I saw it at a Chapters. After seeing that beautiful cover in person and reading the book's description, I just knew I had to take it home.

3) A Natural History of Dragons (Memoir by Lady Trent #1) by Marie Brennan
A Natural History of Dragons (Memoir by Lady Trent, #1)

I saw this book's cover on a book blog and ordered it about five minutes later. Although it still remains unread on my shelf, I've gone on to collect the other books in the series as they've come out.

4) The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
The Yiddish Policemen's Union

Again, this was a cover buy. But I have read it and was absolutely blown away by the writing.

5) Introverts in Love: The Quiet Way to Happily Ever After by Sophia Dembling
Introverts in Love: The Quiet Way to Happily Ever After

I saw this on Book Outlet and decided to pick it up because I consider myself an introvert - and the cover is super adorable.

6) Bestial by Ray Garton
Bestial

The cover and title of this book initially grabbed me and then I discovered it was about werewolves. So naturally, I took it home to live with me.

7) Chasing the Dragon by Nicholas Kaufmann
Chasing the Dragon

Do you notice a trend here? Any book with 'dragon' in the title and I will usually buy it, no questions asked.

8) Stormdancer (The Lotus War #1) by Jay Kristoff
Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)

This is another book where I kind of knew about it but I mostly picked it up because of the gorgeous cover. (But I've heard it's a really good series!)

9) Monster, 1959 by David Maine
Monster, 1959

I think the cover and the title pretty much explain why I bought this book.

10) Wolf Bride (Lust in the Tudor Court #1) by Elizabeth Moss
Wolf Bride (Lust in the Tudor Court, #1)

Okay, okay don't judge me - I saw this at Chapters and noticed the 'Fifty Shades of Tudor Sex' blurb almost immediately. I flipped through it, scanning for the naughty bits and after reading a couple of sex scenes, I took it straight up to the counter. AND I AM NOT ASHAMED!

Tell me what books you've picked up on a whim in the comments!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original bookish meme created by The Broke and the Bookish

No comments:

Post a Comment